Wednesday, July 07, 2010

"My Own Personal Jesus"? Nope, just Kyle.


This is a painting I actually started in Grand Junction but originally drew out from a model session in Texas.  This guy and his wife were both great models and I really miss having access to them as subjects.  I loved his dread locks and beard which he has since cut short and shaved. What a shock that must have been!
  This is still in progress, and you may remember the beginning photo of it from several posts back.  It's watercolor and gouache on 11"X 20  Bristol Plate.  I love working on this surface and I particularly like the milky quality of the gouache.  This is a pretty simple painting I guess, but I was drawn to the great glow of light coming through the hair around his face etc.  Didn't want anyone to think I was slacking over here so thought I'd give a WIP update since I tend to skip around on several works while letting others stew a bit.
  Don't worry, more camels to come!  I just got some great new photos of some very personable camel pals.

7 comments:

Caio Fern said...

Hi Tonya !!
this is a good painting , and you said is still in process ! wow!
i want to see it finished, because is great now.
Yes, look like Jesus ! i never had courage to paint a Jesus.
My name , Caio , in portugues ... when you pronunciate this has exactaly the same sound than KYLE .
weird ? :D
nice to meet you Tonya , i am Kyle.

Manon said...

What a fantastic painting. Your Jesus, Kyle, is a wonderful subject. Will he get to see your painting? If he does... he will be blown away!!

Unknown said...

That is a wonderful painting Tonya. What talent you have! He does look so much what it seems Jesus would look like. Jesus is my hero so I lob=ve your painting even more bc of it!
Take good care Tonya...OX
Janet and Ronald

Art Trip said...

Been looking through your posts. Fantastic work1

-Don said...

Great job, Tonya! It was a great pleasure to zoom in on this and see those wonderful yellows glowing off his face and beard. He would definitely have made a great model for illustrating New Testament stories. I can imagine the caption for this one to be, "Suffer the little children..."

-Don

lynne h said...

wow, tonya, bahrain... well i don't think you should be too hard on yourself taking time to adjust! jeez, it'd take me weeks just to stop gaping out the windows!

i'm amazed at this face... just amazed...

xo

Tonya Vollertsen said...

Hi Kyle/Ciao, so nice to meet you too! LOL! I think you would be an inspiring model, I would love to paint a picture of you. Maybe all Kyles have great faces. We should take a poll.

Hi Manon, I love the Inktense paintings you have been doing! The colors do seem really intense for watercolor. I have only tried the black ones. I didn't realize they came in colors. Thanks for stopping by. No I don't think he will see it, but you never know!

Thank you Janet! I think Jesus is a great choice of hero.

Thanks Art Trip! I will have to come check out your blog. Your avatar has piqued my curiosity!

Hi Don, nice to see you! Thanks! I think that would be a great title. Love your latest "shmearings" painting!

Lynne, thanks for the reprieve then; maybe I will relax for a minute and enjoy my view. Thanks for the very kind praise! I am always so enamored of the faces you make. I love your imaginative approach to everything!

All images on this blog are copyrighted unless otherwise noted and not to be used in any way without the written consent of Tonya Vollertsen.